Re: storing perenials

  • Subject: [cg] Re: storing perenials
  • From: "lisa vandyke" vandykelisa@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:21:22 -0500

Hi again,

The key to heeling-in  and overwintering is keeping the temps. constant (mid to upper 20F, which is what frozen soil stays at usually) until it is warm enough to be uncovered. It is the freeze/thaw/freeze that most effects plants. I understand that you are in a severe region, and few plants can take extremes. The basement is okay, but really doesn't offer the cold needed for a true dormancy. Northern plants need a specific number of cold-hours during the dormant season inorder to complete dormancy. I think that most of the material you are concerned about should do fine. Keep the roots slightly damp, not wet, and cut back the foliage. I think that you will be fine, though. And I'm sure that if you lose something, any number of us can help you get replacements. By the way, I'm excited that you are getting a garden overhaul, when so often the bulldozers are destroying gardens these days.

If anyone is interested in how nurseries overwinter things, there are some good web pages at www.extension.umn.edu -follow links to TRE Nursery.

Best - Lisa

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden