gardens transform people's lives

I am a summer student working as a community garden co-ordinator in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.  The listserve has been a wonderful resource this past summer--thanks for all of the great advice!  One problem I find with my job, well with non profits in general, is the sense of discouragement and frustration in wondering if we're really making a difference and being effective in our outreach programs.  I challenge other community gardeners out there to lift our spirits.
Do you have any "good news" stories? Have you seen positive impacts on people's lives by becoming involved in gardening?  I have one to get things rolling... One woman in our garden refused to give anyone her name, and wouldn't talk to anyone when she started.  She refused to participate in community activities.  Three years later, she happily spends hours talking to the other gardeners, asking for and giving advice.  Out of her meagre resources she purchased flowers and transplants to share with the community.  She truly has been transformed!  Quite often she tells me how much she loves to be in the garden and just wants to soak up the magic of it all.  Believe me, it definitely lifts my spirits and makes me fall in love with gardening all over again.
Look forward to hearing from you!

"Gardeners, scholars say, are the first sign of commitment to a community.  When people plant corn they are saying, 'Let's stay here.'  And by their connection to the land, they are connected to one another." ~ Anne Raver~
Sara Faulhafer
Spryfield Community Garden Co-ordinator
St Paul's Family Resource Institute
173 Old Sambro Road