Re: gardens transform people's lives

  • Subject: Re: [cg] gardens transform people's lives
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:35:36 EDT

There is a wonderful old Lenny Bruce routine called "Thank You Masked Man,"
in which the Lone Ranger has a problem hanging around to take the thank you's.
The old Radio and TV show had him riding into the sunset with Tonto without
being there to be "thanked."

In real life, I have discovered that the folks who are appreciative of
volunteers efforts, use the words, "please" and "thank you" regularly and
proactively instead of waiting to be "stroked" have a better time and find more
fulfillment in the process of community gardening.  It is better to be grateful for
the privilege of being able to garden together with others and maybe do some
good, than to worry about, "am I making a difference?"  Believe me...the time you
spend turning the compost, or teaching someone new how to to it and see them
teach someone is making a difference - after all, you could just be trying on
stuff at the mall, killing time before the movie starts.

That expression, "killing time" is amazing.  Somehow, when you're doing
something useful, there never seems to be enough time.   When you volunteer in a
soup kitchen like I have, and you see the extra tomatoes that will never get
eaten or turned into sauce by the gardeners being put into salads or eaten by
hungry folks, and you know that you planted them - and that the folks, many of
whom don't have teeth, ask for more, because they taste so good....you know that
you wish you had the time to grow more, to help more, to help participate in
one of what the late naturalist Stephen Jay Gould called "the 20,000 acts of
unheralded kindness that counterbalance every truly evil act that happens in
the world."

Having never been a "do-gooder" for pay, I never felt the need to be told
that I was "making a difference" - the act of cleaning up an empty lot,
"persuading" whores, junkies and dealers to change their venue,  and creating a broken
glass and dog crap free garden where children could take their first steps in
safety and security and where oldsters could sit on a bench unmolested and
look at flowers, was enough.  Didn't need a "Thank You,  Masked Man!," but when I
see some of the younger folks doing the kind of things I do as a volunteer by
example of me and other ageing baby-boomers, I feel good. I mean,  if I drop
dead while weeding, the stuff that I did for all those years ( after they
throw my body into the meat wagon) may continue and they may not put a Micky Dees
on the garden site.

Others get their kicks out of creating suburban subdivisions and being the
richest guy they know - taking their money to put their names on a hospital or
school.  Me, I know that my work is in the basic DNA of my projects, and if
nobody knows it, well that's OK.  The workers who built Chartres, Stonehenge, the
Pyramids or discovered how to sow wheat are anonymous....and what they did is
a hell of alot more important than what I do, or the names carved in faux
marble above the x-ray suite.

Okay - okay - If you need to read some community garden feel good stories,
you could do worse than to read this Rodale Book, published in May 2003,  "Grace
from the Garden: Changing the World One Garden at a Time" by Debra Landwehr
Engle   <A HREF="http://www.bhny.com/pow/POW042.html#bio";>Grace from the Garden
</A>  .  It talks about gardens, food security and making a quiet

And seriously, if you get into the habit of thanking others around you for
what they do, the affirmations will come back to you.  You see, imitation is
basic primate behavior,  and the reason why many of us garden is to be close to
our old neighborhood in the trees.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] gardens transform people's lives