Parking Lots and Gardens

There was a song many years ago (showing my age) that has the words... "They take paradise and turn it into a parking lot".

There ya go.

Perhaps there is a way to provide parking for snow emergencies and also provide a garden.  If the planners would design these parking lots to be bordered by a planting area of 10' to 12' or larger, it would provide an area to be used for gardening.   If you go with flowers, I would suggest perrenials to mimimize maintenance.

I would approach your local county extension agent and inquiry about their Master Gardener program.  These folks are required to perform volunteer hours to receive their certificates.  You should be able to get a MG to design a border garden of this type that would turn a parking lot into a "beauty spot".  With a formalized landscape design and its supporting material list of plantings, you should be able to approach the political powers or whomever with your idea.  As a class project, you may be able to enlist the MGers to help implement your design.  Sell this as a model for future "paradise-to-parking-lot-to-paradise" projects.

We had a small area near our downtown courthouse that was only turf.  The city converted this unused lot into a "pocket park" and dedicated it display various magnolias.  Many of these trees planted had small markers denoting the tree name and the person's name for which it was planted.  This was a way to bring in donations.   Just a thought.

On Insurance:
Our non-profit requires all volunteers to sign a release prior to working in our CG.  They carry insurance for protection from lawsuits.

All projects worthwhile will have their share of problems to overcome.  Take them one at a time.   Surround yourself with positive thinkers and not those who only see half empty glasses.

Hope this helps,  Jim

From: "Hilary Kitasei" <hilary@kitasei.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 05:40:32 -0400