Paradise Parking Playgrounds...

  • Subject: [cg] Paradise Parking Playgrounds...
  • From: Jeneva Storme jenevastorme@yahoo.ca
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:33:01 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings all;

I noted with interest the discussion of vacant lot
use, as one of the projects I'm involved with is the
conversion of four vacant lots into a combination
community garden, green space, native prairie habitat
and play space.  Three of the lots are adjacent to
each other and one is across the back lane.  The
single lot will be a "tot lot" with a play structure
and beds of native butterfly plants.  The other three
lots will house the community garden and more native
plants, as well as a plaza with picnic tables and a
small turf area for relaxing or picnicking.  I will
have to remember to scan the design that we have for
it, and share it with you good folks to see what's
possible in an inner-city area.  Site preparation is
currently underway and we hope to have the major
landscaping and the playground finished within the
next few weeks.  This is really a groundbreaking park
in a lot of ways, and we hope that it will serve as a
model for others to emulate.

Another of our local community gardens is on a vacant
lot owned by a local business, part of the lot is used
by them for turning their trucks around to get into
their loading bay, and a part for dumping snow in the
winter from their parking lot right next to it.  We
have been given permission to grow in containers on
top of the ground (they didn't want us plowing it up),
and this year, the garden's third season, it has
exploded to at least three times its original size
under the guidance of a Permaculture freak from
Australia.  Photos can be seen here:
http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca/furbyphotos.html --
since these were taken the plants have done amazingly,
I will have to scan more recent ones to show the

Anyway, just a bit about the possibility of combining
functions in one space.

Shade and Sweet Water,
Jeneva Storme

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203
website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca