Prison Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Prison Gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:25:36 EDT

There have been farming programs in prisons for a very long time.  It has
been said that the Prison Farm at Anglola Prison, in Louisiana is one of the
largest organic gardens in the country.  However, rehabilitation is not central to
the Angola Prison mission ( one of the nation's toughest, with a large death
row. ) A documentary, "The Farm - Life Inside Angola Prison (1998) is
occasionally seen on PBS, and can be borrowed through some video outlets on VHS.

Here are  programs that sort of qualify as community garden programs in
prisons with a strong rehabilitative bent:

1) Cook's County Sheriff's Garden:  <A
HREF="http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/~uplink/programs/dscigarden.html";>Sheriff's Garden</A>

2) The NY Horticultural Society (<A HREF="http://www.hsny.org/";>NY Hort</A> )
runs a program out of Riker's Island called Greenhouse ( <A
HREF="http://www.hsny.org/html/greenhouse.htm";>Greenhouse</A> .)

3) David K. Hackenberry, HTR
Colorado Dept. of Corrections
Pueblo Minimum Center
PO Box 3
Pueblo, Colorado 8100
e-mail: dhackenberry@yahoo.com

Mr. Hackenberry says, "I am running a prison garden program for female
inmates in Pueblo Colorado.  Including gardens, greenhouses, landscaping and floral
design.  I have a list of contacts around the country and world who are using
gardens in prisons.  And I have been documenting the success rate of gardeners
released from my facility.I would be happy to share info with you."

4) There are prison gardens and horticultural therapy programs throughout the
50 states.  One example of this is in Missouri's penal system ( <A
HREF="http://www.mdn.org/1996/STORIES/GARDEN.HTM";>MO - Prison Gardens</A> ) Web searches
using the words "Prison Garden" or "Prison Farm" or "Horticultural Therapy in
Prisons" should get you some interesting leads.

5) Hort Therapy and Prison Gardens are quite common in England, Australia and
throughout Europe.  The 2001 English film "Green Fingers" is based on a group
of real life English Prison Gardeners.

Good Luck,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1508 - 5 msgs