Internet CG Search Tips for Luddites Like Me

  • Subject: [cg] Internet CG Search Tips for Luddites Like Me
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:23:38 EDT

Friends,

One of the nice things about this listserv, is that somewhere in our
community garden web community, if you happen to get hung up on statistics during
grant writing time, there will be a fairy honest and knowledgeable person to
answer your query on-line.

Some of us are genuinely knowledgeable, and others like me know something,
but have decent web research skills as well as grubby fingers from gardening.
As I type fast, and keep my computer on most of the day, I'm one of the "fast
answerers."  Not that I have much depth, mind you, but what I do is akin to
that of an old time librarian who had catechized the Dewey or Library of Congress
systems.

My computer is going into the shop today because of a wrecked floppy drive,
so I'll be off-line for a while.  However, with these links, you should be able
to access most of the community garden information that you need and thus be
able to make pinpointed queries to the listserv.

1) The first site that you should know is the ACGA website:   <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";> </A>A<A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>merican Community Gardening Association</A>  where if you are looking at
any community gardening topic or practice, you should find it.  The web links
page, updated by volunteers, is amazingly useful:  <A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html";>ACGA Links</A> . Searching though the site is
pretty easy, and items like the Publications page, <A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/pubs/starting.html";>How to Start a Community Garden</A> , are
extraordinarily useful.

2) Many subscribers to American Community Gardening Association listserv
don't realize that it is hosted by <A HREF="http://mallorn.com/";>Mallorn Computing
</A> and that by clicking on the <A HREF="http://www.hort.net/";>hort.net</A>
button on the website (or going to it directly) they can get a wealth of
horticultural information.  Hort.net has a listing called, <A
HREF="http://www.hort.net/lists/";>http://www.hort.net/lists/</A> which includes the ACGA listserv as
well as several interesting gardening lists.

Through the <A HREF="http://www.hort.net/lists/community_garden/";>Hort.net
community_garden page</A> you can access all ACGA discussions on myriad topics
from today, organized by month, going back to March 1999.  As certain topics
recurr in our discussions ( e.g., how to start a community garden, getting
support for your c.g., etc... ) you will find answers here.

3) The Communications for a Sustainable Future website <A
HREF="http://csf.colorado.edu/index.html";>CSF</A>  in addtion to carrying a great deal of
information complementary to our work as community gardeners and volunteers in food
security matters, also has a "back-up" to our archives, which goes back to
1998, and through a link to Arizona State University, 1997 <A
HREF="http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/community_garden/";>CSF community garden</A>  .

4) The Canadian "City Farmer" Site is absolutely extraordinary.  We all owe
it's founder, Michael Levenston and the volunteers who keep it up a deep debt
of appreciation ( <A HREF="http://www.cityfarmer.org/";>City Farmer</A> )

5) If you still need to search a topic more, I rely on the Google search
engine more than any others:   (<A HREF="http://www.google.com/";>
http://www.google.com/</A> )

6)  A rudely titled, but quite excellent guide to Internet Reseach is Michael
Miller's, "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Online Search Secrets" published by
Alpha Books/Que and is available at most mass market bookstores with computer
sections.

7) Some search engines:

a)  <A HREF="http://altavista.com/";>http://altavista.com/</A>

b) <A HREF="http://excite.com/";>http://excite.com/</A>

c) <A HREF="http://www.hotboot.com/";>http://www.hotboot.com/</A>

d) <A HREF="http://lycos.com/";>http://lycos.com/</A>

e) <A HREF="http://northernlight.com/";>http://northernlight.com/</A>

f) <A HREF="http://www.yahoo.com/";>http://www.yahoo.com/</A>

There are other engines, but these are the ones that I use.

See you on-line,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,