Grey Water - Irrigation

  • Subject: [cg] Grey Water - Irrigation
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:55:52 EDT

1) Were I you, the first thing I would do would be to talk to the best
commerical organic farmers/gardeners in your state and your local agricultural
exension agent.  There are usually strict state guidelines on the use of gray water
(or grey water) and they vary from state to state in the USA.  While
sustainablity is important, and the use of gray water  in cleaning streets and other
applications is a godsend, it remains a complicated topic.  If the wheel has
been invented in your area, you should give it a "spin" first.

2) Caveat: I have never used gray water and a little knowledge is dangerous!
Personally, I  would prefer to invest in drip irrigation hoses, even jumping
for a subterranean drip irrigation system before even considering gray water
usage.  Its use on lawns and certain ornamental plants has been done in some NYC
Parks, but I personally would not use it on edible plants, azaleas, ferns or
certain other shade plants.  As always, it is essential to know your soil
chemistry and the chemistry of the gray water that you would be adding to it - a
case of looking before you leap.

3) I first encountered drip irrigation systems about 30 years ago in Israel -
<A HREF="http://www.worldbank.org/html/fpd/technet/drip_irr.htm";>Drip
Irrigation</A> . Here is a bibliography of manuals on drip or microirrigation systems
<A HREF="http://www.microirrigationforum.com/new/archives/dripmanuals.html";>
Drip Manuals</A>
and source of irrigation information on the net: <A
HREF="http://www.microirrigationforum.com/new/onthenet/";>irrigation on the net</A> .

4) Back to Colorado - Here is a Colorado State Agricultural Extension paper
on drip irrigation:  <A
HREF="http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/columngw/grdrip.html";>Colorado Drip Irrigation</A>
and a piece on Drip irrigation for the home gardener:
<A HREF="http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/04702.html";>Colorado Home
Drip</A>  , for you to  explore.

5) The US experts on community gardening with little water may very well be
in Arizona.  Two links from the ACGA website:
<A HREF="http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/comunity/comunity.htm";>
Community Gardening in Maricopa County, Arizona</A>

<A HREF="http://www.communitygardensoftucson.org/";>Community Gardens of Tucson

This is a seminar that is being given next week by Lisa Hemphill of  the
Arizona Agricultural extension on drip irrigation.  While you may not be able to
get there, obviously,  you might want to drop a line to Contact: Lisa Hemphill
at lisahem@ci.gilbert.az.us, phone (480) 503-6878. Website: <A
HREF="http://ci.gilbert.az.us/water";>Arizona Drip Irrigation</A>.

"Drip Irrigation Basics - August 26, 2003 at 6:30 PM until 9:00 PM
 What’s a pressure regulator or a valve? Do I have emitters or sprinklers? I
thought a "station" was a channel on TV. Take the mystery out of watering your
landscape. Learn to design and install a drip irrigation system that will be
water efficient and low maintenance. It’s easier than you think. Price: Free.
Registration required. Location: Maricopa County. Address: Southeast Regional
Library on Greenfield and Guadalupe Roads in Gilbert, AZ. Contact: Lisa
Hemphill at lisahem@ci.gilbert.az.us, phone (480) 503-6878. Website:
http://ci.gilbert.az.us/water.  "

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman