Re: Grant funding sources

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Grant funding sources
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:20:21 EDT

Dear Mr. Bailey,

It might be useful in your decision making process to read through the
various articles and links on the American Community Gardening Association website:
 <A HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>American Community Gardening
Association</A>  .

The sections on community garden start-ups and links of community gardens by
state have been found to be quite helpful by folks looking at land and
thinking "community garden" for many years.  Lot's of wheels there that have already
been invented to choose from.

There are grant sources on the website, but it might be a good idea for you
to figure out, once you have assembled a core of volunteers, what you want your
community garden's mission to be.

Community gardening is a big tent, which includes urgan housing project
gardens of less than a 3rd of an acre or less, or as large as 10 acres in Madision,
Wisconsin. Some are dedicated to raising food for low income neighborhood
residents, others to raising food for seniors, food security groups (i.e., soup
kitchens/food pantries) or as educational/rehabilitative facilities for
schools, physically and mentally challenged people in which horticultural therapy is
the mission, comunity beautification projects  and/or combinations of any of
the above.

I belong to a community garden in NYC which does most of the above, 8 blocks
away from where the ball is dropped every year in Times Square.

To paraphrase ex-speaker of the House of Representatives Tip O'Neill, "All
community gardens are local." So you would have to figure what would work on
your 22 acres, in your community, and whether you also have to create parking
spaces for the volunteers.

As a professional in Business and Fund Development for your rurally located
hospital, I'm sure you know how to write a great grant.  Where to go for
funding will become more apparent once you know where your garden's mission is going
to be.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] Grant funding sources