Camden garden

  • Subject: [cg] Camden garden
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:30:24 -0400

Interesting that you should mention the Camden area where once the ship yard
that built the WW 2 and other era behemoths provided a good living.  Across
from the Camden High School is an old home, if it has not been torn down,
where my ex-spouse grew up.  His dad, a steelyard worker, had an organic
garden in the 1950's.  Mr. Anneski died in 1959 but he had already had to
erect a 4 ft. high (city limit) fence to protect his fruit trees and garden.
In his attic I found a huge pile of Organic Gardening and Farming magazines.
We were helping his wife move out in 1969.  The area was once thriving and I
am sure that some of the boys who tried to tear down the fruit trees of the
weird white guy may now be trying to grow their own.  I hope they have
better luck and the gangs leave them alone.

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.