Tom's grant deadline

  • Subject: [cg] Tom's grant deadline
  • From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, all,

Just back from the mountains near Boone, getting that
last vacation in before the kids go back to school.
Ahhhh.

On the other hand, the weeds took over the tomato bed
while we were gone. But a late planting of Juliette is
cranking out the 'saladette' tomatoes, anyway- that's
really not a bad variety. Did anyone hear that they've
crossed Juliette with the classic sauce tomato, Roma?
And what do they call it?

Romeo and Juliette! No lie!

Meanwhile 'we have met the enemy and he is us',
sort-of. ACGA gets to pick the recipients of the Tom
of Maine's grants, as far as I know. So, we just need
to talk _ourselves_ into accepting applications
_postmarked_ on or before the final day (August 15? A
Sunday?). Effectively, that would give laggards (like
me, though I've written it up, just have to get pics
and support stuff...what, me a laggard???) until
Saturday to get it in the mail. An electronic 'drop'
would be even better, but again that's us to us...

So, let's ask our Board - I think an informal
sub-committee within the ACGA Board is handling the
contest - to grant Doreen's request. Whadaya say?

I think it's a reasonable idea,

Don Boekeheide
Charlotte, NC

And, meanwhile, thanks to Tom's! I'm applying on
behalf of a garden for the homeless here in Charlotte
that's been surviving on a shoestring and a prayer; a
grand would make a huge difference and be unbelievably helpful.