RE: Community Greening and the Homeless

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Community Greening and the Homeless
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:37:54 -0500

Thanks for the responses.

I apologize for not mentioning that the local homeless shelter does not
admit anyone with alcohol or drug
related problems so most (if not all) of these individuals would have a
problem going there.

I guess a big gazebo surrounded by beautiful landscaping is very inviting.

Since a fence is out of the question (no funds available), this may be
solved by regular visits by the police
and picking up (litter and booze bottles) after them every morning.  The
homeless are only present
after hours so there is no contact with the elderly at the center.

I agree with Dorene that a decision to remove all of the shrubs is totally
out of the question in this particular case.

I have recently learned that a multi-million defense complex located on our
local military base has decided to remove all of its landscaping surrounding
it as a result of 9/11. We live in a different world.

Jim in Alabama