Texas: New chapter for community garden

  • Subject: [cg] Texas: New chapter for community garden
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:42:02 -0700 (PDT)

The Navasota Examiner & Grimes County Review
Navasota and Grimes County, Texas, since 1894
August 17, 2006

The Community Garden begins a new chapter!

There has been some concern in the community that the
garden has been let go, that there is nothing going
on in there, and about what is going to happen. If
you drive too fast past the garden, which is situated
on the corner of South LaSalle and McAlpine streets
right behind the Police Department, all you will see
is a blur of color. Drive a little slower and you will
see the color comes from roses, all kinds of annuals
and perennials, herbs, and climbing vines and shrubs.
Better still, park on McAlpine and come and visit any
time you see Master Gardeners in the garden, or even
if you don't! Come in and walk around!

The last two years, we grew vegetables to give to the
community, Spring and Fall, Spring and Fall. This year
it was time for a change, and the direction of the
Community Garden has now changed to Demonstration
Garden. We hope to show the community how different
plants are adapted to our area, what does well and
what doesn't. We have a work and compost area at the
west end of the garden where we will eventually offer
composting, propagation and other seminars to the
public, and hope to include schools and other youth
organizations, as well as older people, in this
educational endeavor.

This is a work in progress, as are most gardens, and
the appearance will change with the season. We have a
butterfly/hummingbird plant section and are in process
of becoming a certified Monarch Way Station. There are
also sections for native plants, herbs, and bulbs/cut
flowers. In the center, we have beautiful roses and
will be planting ground covers and various other
plants in the rose beds.

We continue to enjoy the support of local businesses
and individuals, to offer a place for adult and
juvenile probationers to perform their community
service hours and a place for Master Gardeners to
perform their volunteer hours. Soon, we hope, there
will be benches for people to come and sit and enjoy a
little peace and quiet in downtown Navasota!

The Master Gardener Association is a part of Texas
Cooperative Extension Service. If there is enough
interest, we will hold a training class in January
2007. Please call the Grimes Co. Extension Office at
825-3495 if you have any questions or comments about
the Demonstration Garden, how to become a Master
Gardener, or need answers to your gardening problems.