California: Old parking lot becomes community garden

  • Subject: [cg] California: Old parking lot becomes community garden
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:20:07 -0700 (PDT)

Whittier Daily News, California
August 18, 2006

Garden of Eden in South El Monte
By Raul Roa I Staff Writer

Nestled behind a hotel, north of the 60 Freeway and
west of Santa Anita Avenue in South El Monte, is an
old parking lot that recently has been revived as a
community garden.

It is a place to work the muscles and sweat by the
bucket as you till and plant the soil. Then it is the
place where you watch with amazement as the seeds of
your labor transform into fresh, healthy and
full-grown vegetables.

The Whittier Narrows Regional Park Community Garden in
South El Monte has become a source of relaxation,
enjoyment and substantial exercise for those green
thumbs who've dared venture into the farming world for
$20 a year.

"As a boy, my dad and I always grew things, so when
this chance came by, I took it," said Jim Guild, 67,
of Whittier.

Guild's friend Matthew Rogers, 47, of South El Monte,
signed up as well.

"We do it for therapy," Rogers said.

"And we eat, too," added Guild, as he took a break
from removing weeds, sweat pouring down his face.

Guild and Rogers have adjoining 20-foot by 20-foot
plots at this three-acre community garden, where
anyone with the urge to try their luck at growing
their own food can do so by signing up at the park and
recreation office on the other side of the freeway.