starting from absolute scratch

  • Subject: [cg] starting from absolute scratch
  • From: Cameron McLaughlin cmm2000@earthlink.net
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:48:12 -0500

Can anyone recommend some sites and sources of very basic help for a community that has no history whatsoever of community gardening? I tried to explain the concept to a city councilman recently and got a polite "sounds interesting" brushoff. I know people who would be interested in finding the space and organizing in their own neighborhoods, but the need and opportunity here is to use municipal property that has been catastrophically damaged by Hurricane Ivan and is now sitting vacant. The city hall had to be gutted and sits on almost an acre of perfectly usable although once-flooded land, for example. If anyone has an example of a successful proposal, I would like to draw up a formal plan. Any tips about organizing at the grassroots would be really welcome, too. We are in election season, so I don't know what kind of support to expect from the new city council members.

Cameron McLaughlin
Pensacola, Florida