Ack! Heirloom tomato question

  • Subject: [cg] Ack! Heirloom tomato question
  • From: holly white ilexwhite@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone, I'm very new to the list and new to gardening, period, but I got bit by the bug pretty bad this year and now I even dream at night about growing vegetables!  I'm doomed, doomed...  I love the conversation in here and plan on becoming a dues-paying member next paycheck- this list really brightens my day.  The no-till conversation has been very informative.

  I just came across something surprising/ disappointing, and I'd love opinions on this.  It seems that the International Seed Saving Institute recommends planting heirloom tomatoes 100 feet apart.  Now, I have a container garden on my small porch in downtown Detroit, and I'm planning on creating a community rooftop vegetable/ herb/ whatever garden for my apartment building next season.  I'm already compiling a list of heirloom tomato varieties I'm dying to try next year, and I'd be pretty bummed if I could only try one or two.  Is the 100 foot recommendation simply for seed saving, in the interest of keeping the varieties from cross-pollinating?  Just how close can I plant heirloom varieties?   I am interested in learning proper seed saving, but I also want to plant as much as my family can eat!  Input?

  Thanks so much-
  Holly

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1"/min.