Fwd: Ack! Heirloom tomato question

  • Subject: Fwd: [cg] Ack! Heirloom tomato question
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:35:17 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: adam36055@aol.com
To: ilexwhite@yahoo.com
Sent: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [cg] Ack! Heirloom tomato question

Kiddo - why make life hard than it absolutely has to be? Grow tomatoes, love them, but you don't need to get into the minutiae of what seed keepers need to to keep the heirlooms pure to enjoy great tomatoes. Compost, chickenshit, sun, watering, pinching off the suckers, and not smoking near the plants helps, and lord knows, rooftop gardening is hard.

Walking the walk, I have huge Russian Paul Robeson tomatoes growing next to common as dirt sweet 100s, in a 8' x 10' plot.. not counting the greenbeans, basil, eggplant and 10 varieties of hot pepper.

Community gardening ain't about purity and perfection. It's great to be organic, but to be really crazed about cross pollination is kind of anti-thetical to what community and community gardens are about. namely cross pollination and sharing.

And having fun!

\Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Hell's Kitchen, NYC