project in NYC

Hello,

I am seeking information on a specific garden project in New York City.
The information I have is sketchy at best, so I hope it rings a bell with
someone.

I was asked by a professor at the University of California to find out
about a school/community gardening project that was started in New York by
a woman and funded by the New York Women's Foundation.  I believe it was
started in the 1980s.  He is interested in locating the founder.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Laura Lawson

Laura Lawson
Ph.D. candidate
Department of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning
University of California
Berkeley, California  94720