protecting plants & insurance

Please share with us your best ideas for protecting small (e.g. 1 ft.)
shrubs from being  trampled in a park short of fencing entire area. Good
fencing for individual plants?

There was very good information about insurance posted. I would add my own
experience in NYC. We garden on city-owned (Parks & DOT) land between a
parkway and arterial road. After cleaning it up and making it a beautiful
woodland chipped trail, we asked for a fence to protect children on bicycles
and drunken teenagers from falling off a cliff to the highway or just an
official parks sign warning of the danger. The Parks dept., which had
supported our efforts to clean up the land (even providing us with much
material and logistical support), demurred on both points. The reason they
gave was that they did not want to make it an official park because it would
increase their liability. DOT would not put up a fence or sign for the same
reason. (Never mind that this area had been the hangout for teenagers
drinking for decades.)Our Parks dept. district manager even told me that I
could now personally be liable if anyone were hurt because I had made it
Naturally I became interested in acquiring this umbrella insurance mentioned
in the recent post. Unfortunately that is only available to a homeowner,
which I am not. A conversation with an official of the NYC greenstreets
program has put me at ease, however. It is the city that will be sued. With
all of the volunteers working in the city greenstreets and on street trees
(which is really what our land is equivalent to) the issue had never come
up. So it seems that if the city doesn't ask volunteers to carry insurance,
there's no reason for them to do so. (I wonder how far this can be pushed,
though. We've been thinking it would be great to rig a tarzan for the
commuters to ride down the hill to catch the bus on Broadway...)

Hilary of "Endor"
Please note my new e-mail address: