Re: Definitions and design

>Why are lockable gates such an ubiquitous characteristic
>of gardens.  What do you think?

Mostly to deter vandals, thieves and suchlike folk.

Chicago had a really neat design in the '70's, but I think most of
the rest of us just tried to get in the most plots and walking space
we could. Some gardens also have communal spaces which sort of grew
like Topsy.

We've got flower beds at both entries and one along a wall where we'd
dumped a bunch of rubble early on, as well as an orchard, grape
arbor, barbecue plaza and the once and future gazebo.The locations
were determined by space availability, the presence of concrete and
all sorts of other strange parameters.