Re: protecting plants & insurance

Hilary & NYC community gardeners:

Hilary, I'd surround some of  your shrubs with attractive rock or brick
borders. This won't deter vandals (fencing and locks do that) but will keep
most thoughtful people's feet out of your schrubs.  A  few little signs
saying that your group is keeping this greens spot up can also help ( it can
also attract graffiti.)

Re: NYC Insurance

I'm glad that the city is not requiring your group to insure. If you become
more organized,however,  you may want to have folks sign a  waiver: a "I am
volunteering at my own risk" agreement to keep yourselves covered in case of
a misadventure. This becomes more necessary if you start a 501(c)(3)
corporation to solicit funds for your operation. The corporation and the
officers, unfortunately, become a potential legal target. If you work under
the aegis of The Parks Foundation ( a support group for NYC parks) then that
liability would be carried by them.

There is an insurance requirement for any community garden that is lucky
enough to get transferred to the NYC parks dept (i.e,  the Clinton Community
Garden, the 6BC garden in the Lower East Side.)

Fortunately, low cost insurance for NYC community gardens & landscape groups
can be acquired through the Neighborhood Open Space Coalition, a NYC greening
,open space and community garden advocacy group. They are the folks that  run
the Cybergardens listserve. Visit their website at
<A HREF="http://www.treebranch.com/">neighborhood open space coalition nosc
nyc ny</A>

Happy gardening,
Adam Honigman