Things to do with Discarded Christmas Trees. . .

Hi, Folks!

Here is the full text of what I sent to OG -- they only used Idea #1, but
here are the other ideas I came up with.  (We haven't actually done Idea #2,
but I figured it would work. . .)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

Like most folks with perennials, our community garden gathers discarded
Christmas trees and chops off the branches to cover and mulch our herbs,
roses and fruiting shrubs to protect them from winter frosts and snows.
Since we don't have an electrical outlet at the community garden for a
chipper/shredder, we've come up with the following uses for bare Christmas
tree trunks:

1) Native Bee Habitats:  Cut Christmas tree trunks into 1-foot logs with a
bow saw.  Drill 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch holes about an inch apart
over the top and sides of a log.  Place the log, holes side up, where it
will receive morning sun and wait for the native bees to find them in the

2) Toad Huts: Cut Christmas tree trunks into 1-foot logs with a bow saw.
Take the worst clay in the garden, mix it with water and a few pine needles
to make a thick paste.  Construct a mini-log cabin for your toads by dabbing
logs with the clay paste, then pressing the logs together.  (It's messy, but
kids enjoy making real log cabins.  Luckily, toads aren't picky about their
real estate as long as it protects them from the sun.)

3) Bean Teepees:  Dig 4 or 5 holes in a circle with a post-hole digger.
Place the wide end of a Christmas tree trunk in each hole, then tie together
the narrow ends with biodegradable twine to form a teepee. Finish the teepee
by wrapping the twine between the trunks so that the bean vines can climb up
the teepee.

4) Compost bins:  Dig 4 holes in a square with a post-hole digger. (For
optimal composting, holes should be at least 3 feet apart from each other.)
Place the wide end of a Christmas tree trunk in each hole, then tie turkey
wire or snow fencing around the trunks to form a bin.  Add garden waste as

In time, the Christmas tree trunks will rot, but that's okay!  Just add the
rotted wood to the compost pile and gather more trees next Christmas!