Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #551 - 5 msgs

  • To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #551 - 5 msgs
  • From: "acg" <acg@austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:44:38 -0600

Growing food for sale in a community garden...

Do your site rules specifically outlaw the growing of food for sale?  If
not, you probably have no recourse if the gardener is taking care of the
plot.  At Austin Community Gardens, be believe that growing food to sell to
the local community is one of the core ways to support a sustainable food
system.  We are encouraging our gardeners to grow food for their own use, to
give away and to sell.  We are facilitating the sale of excess produce by
gathering the food from the gardeners and taking it to to sell at WIC farm
stands we staff.

Terri Buchanan
Executive Director
Austin Community Gardens

"All we are saying...is give seeds a chance!"

Issue - In a community garden situation, if you find one of the gardeners is
only growing one crop in say a 50' x 50' area, and therefore you assume it
is for sale, what do you do?

Unclebob's gardens in Irvine,CA.