Re: Contribution

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Contribution
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 07:54:12 -0500

Hi, Folks!

>When a gardener at our community gardens decides to move on we are told to
>cover it with black plastic until it is selected by a new gardener.

Most studies have shown that clear plastic works better than black plastic,
if you are trying to get rid of weeds.

>It is my thought to spread about five inches of straw on the garden plot and
>that will cut weed growth during the winter period.  It will also protect the
>soil and the soil organisms that hold so many mysteries for us.  I think we
>need the soil to inhale and drink up the waters during the fall and winter.

You are completely right.  However, you should cover the soil with cardboard
(try your local appliance store -- refrigerator boxes cover more area! ;-D)
or newspaper (whole sections, overlapping), then cover with straw or wood
chips to keep the weeds down and increase the organic matter which in turn
will increase the worm/beneficial soil organism count for everyone.

Good luck!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of