Re: soil decontamintaion

  • Subject: [cg] Re: soil decontamintaion
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:56:23 -0600

Hi there,
I'm not an expert, but have encountered very high lead levels in Mpls. The
University here recommends removal. They don't think that plant uptake is
very significant, certainly not in terms of the speed by which a small child
can ingest and be harmed by lead. Since removal of the soil on the actual
property is already being considered, I support you on that. As far as
containment of the pollutants next door, without knowing exactly what you've
got there, I think that concrete is pretty sound. There might be a leaching
problem if there is a chemical reaction through a plastic material. Also
consider a planted barrier, a buffer of ornamentals or perhaps the plants
suggested in the phytoremediation paper. We have planted attractive buffers
where salt damage, noise, traffic or general abuse are expected. In those
buffers (and the rest of the area) the addition of large quantities of
organic matter will really cut the ratio of any residual metals. I'll poke
around the university a bit more. Good luck,
Lisa in Mpls.