RE: Use of treated lumber not recommended for vegetable raised beds

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Use of treated lumber not recommended for vegetable raised beds
  • From: Gwenne Hayes-Stewart <Gwenne.Hayes-Stewart@mobot.org>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:00:09 -0600

Title: RE: [cg] Use of treated lumber not recommended for vegetable raised beds

Thought we'd put in our two cents here at Gateway Greening, St. Louis.  We use pressure treated lumber for our raised beds and have done so for fifteen years.  Common sense would tell you that this is not a good idea.  However, every couple years, we test the soil in the beds, old beds, new beds, middle, ends, sides, and the soil outside the raised beds.

In every case, in every series of tests, we discovered NO leaching inside the beds.  There were minute traces directly underneath the timbers in one test.  The soil outside the beds was determined to be unfit for food production for more chemicals than one could count.

Like many of you, our gardens are on abandoned lots in the inner city core, with buildings collapsed into their foundations with a skin of top soil covering heaven knows what.

Recycled plastic lumber costs too dang much money. We will continue to test and will stop using treated lumber if we ever detect leaching into beds.  So far, it just isnt there.

I read somewhere that some folks line the timbers with plastic sheeting. If you remain concerned but cannot afford recycled lumber, you might consider trying that method.

Gwenne