Re: Use of treated lumber not recommended for vegetable rais ed beds

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Use of treated lumber not recommended for vegetable rais ed beds
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:10:04 EST

Hi, and happy New Year everyone,

I'll add my 2 cents on top of Gwenn's.

Treated lumber is not by any means the only way to hold soil in raised beds.
The easiest way, of course, is simply to mound up the soil, as Alan Chadwick
taught decades ago, and as traditional gardeners around the world have done
since time immemorial.

Treated lumber is an easy and familiar material that seems 'convenient'. You
(or eager donors) can buy it in a big box store, cut it with power tools,
make something that looks 'nice' (if you like square corners). Other than
that, there is no reason whatsoever to use it. And once you've got it, you
can only get rid of it by hauling it to a landfill for toxic waste.

Lots of people have used it, as Gwenn has, innocently enough. But that's no
reason to continue to use it.

The risk from leaching is real and documented (you've tested soil,
Gwenn-thanks for sharing your data. However, what about your root vegetables
growing within a foot of the edge of the wood?). But leaching is only one of
the problems with CCA wood. (The A represents 'arsenic', by the way, the most
dangerous poison in the wood, the two Cs are for copper and chromium.)

CCA lumber is made from cheap pine, grown non-sustainably in monocultural
plantations, many of them in the rural South of the USA. The negative
environmental impacts of these huge 'tree farms' are enormous.

The heavy metals are forced into the wood under tremendous heat and pressure,
using a process that is supposed to make them bond permanently with the wood.
No doubt about what they do - they are poisonous metals, pure and simple,
that will never break down biologically. A termite eats them, it's a goner.
The same, potentially, is true for any organism, including me and you.

The biggest risk to people, probably, is from two risk factors, neither
having to do with eating. First, when you saw the wood, the sawdust is
extremely hazardous. You are supposed to wear a mask and gloves and be very
careful about working with CCA. Over and over, though, I've seen people
ignore precautions. If you do your cutting in the garden, the sawdust - small
particles that can free the toxins - can very easily end up in a garden bed.
Also, you can pick up some toxic metals by touching the surface of CCA. Just
watch children carefully, don't let them touch the sides of the beds when
they are weeding... (that's the reason it is not used on playgrounds in NC -
though people here ignore the research and common sense and still use it. -
It's cheap and everybody does it is the most common explanation). In
addition, if you burn it, the fumes are very dangerous.

As the wood weathers and decays (CCA prevents insect damage and fungal rots,
not weakening from weathering and physical stresses), the wood fibers began
to fall apart, and sooner or later you have a concentrated pile of high
arsenic material in your garden. As Gwenn rightly points out, our cities are
already highly toxified environments, thanks to our past behavior. Using CCA
lumber does nothing to help correct this problem, however, it only makes it

The kicker with CCA is that once you've got it, you are stuck. You can only
dispose of it in a toxic landfill, in most states - and leaching may already
have moved toxic metals into your soil under the wood, as Gwenn found. The
plastic liner idea, though a creative notion, really doesn't solve this

I agree with Gwenn that plastic 'woods' are currently very expensive and hard
to find - as well as very heavy. My suggestion is to use recycled materials
instead, especially concrete, rock and pavement chunks. At Berkeley's Edible
Schoolyard, I saw how the children and gardener David Hawkins made lovely
beds and even a high retaining bank using chucks of debris from an old
parking lot. You can also mix inexpensive concrete with soil to create
earthen blocks. Not only is this free, but you set a good example of
recycling in action. Bonus - you are not tied into strictly rectangular
patterns for the garden beds. Mighty nice in Squaresville.

Locally, I'm using a lot of rock. A nearby quarry sells rock cheap, $12 a
ton. I pick out nice pieces of blockish riprap and drystack it. True, this is
for a home garden and not all community gardens will want to do this. But it
works nicely. Think locally.

Last of all, the most important thing is to get people gardening. I have
strong opinions about CCA (comes from a background in sustainable agriculture
development, I reckon), but I deeply respect the fact that Gwenn and her
gardeners are doing soil testing and making up their own minds. As much as I
dislike CCA, there are plenty of other things that are much more dangerous to
people, especially in the inner city. The essential thing is that they are
enabling people to garden and think for themselves. In 2002, that's my wish
for everyone.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC