Selling the Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Selling the Garden
  • From: Samuel Feinson SFeinson03@cityyear.org
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:50:37 -0500

Title: Selling the Garden

Hey everyone,

I'd first like to send a thank-you to everyone who sent me resources on starting up a garden.  While planning has gone well, the garden project that City Year is working on in Columbia, SC is experiencing a big hang-up.  We've managed to talk to potential sponsors and received some positive feedback, but finding an actual location has been difficult.  Both low-income housing developments we've called are quite reluctant to give up the space, and the neighborhood we've focused on has community members that are, for one reason or another, resistant.

We've scheduled a speaking time at one community meeting.  I've also put in some calls to city council.  Does anyone have good tips on selling the idea of a garden?