RE: county/city funding

  • Subject: RE: [cg] county/city funding
  • From: "Scott Keller" skeller@ci.beaverton.or.us
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:50:17 -0800

Our community garden program is a function of the Mayor's Office, funded and managed by City staff.

We have two gardens (one with 80 plots, one with 20 plots) that are available on a first come, first served basis (upon payment of a $30 rental fee for the plot).  We provide water, basic maintenance of the common areas (mowing, fencing, etc.) provide an initial supply of compost/mulch soil additive once per year, and a provide plow/tilling service option once each spring if desired by a gardener.

Our budget (not including staff time) is $10,600, of which approximately $3000 comes back as rental fee income.  We have four staff members who have some role in managing the gardens in their job descriptions -- but the cumulative total probably is .25 FTE or less....

Beaverton is a suburb of Portland, Oregon, with a population of about 78,000.

We are planning to expand our 80 plot garden to 100 plots in the coming garden season, and looking into adding a third garden as soon as land can be found for such a purpose.

SCOTT KELLER
Auxiliary Services Program Manager
Office of the Mayor
City of Beaverton