RE: county/city funding

  • Subject: RE: [cg] county/city funding
  • From: "Jack Hale" jackh@knoxparks.org
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:39:34 -0500

The Knox Parks Foundation frequently gets a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) from the city of Hartford.  It is typically in the $30-35,000 range.  It is a competitive and highly political process, so sometimes it doesn’t happen.  The funding is for garden development and improvement, so at least 2/3 of the money is for hard costs of physical improvements to gardens.  We pick up some staffing costs on the assumption that some staffing is necessary to get improvements done.  This money is about 5% or our organization’s operating budget.  Because of the way we are organized, it is a little difficult to say how it relates to the community gardening aspect of our operation.  A rough estimate is that it is about 1/3 of community gardening costs.

Jack N. Hale

Executive Director

Knox Parks Foundation

75 Laurel Street