Re: good community garden book?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] good community garden book?
  • From: Tamsin Salehian tamsin@sparecreative.com
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:46:21 +1100

If your funding stretches far enough have you considered installing a water
tank to catch rain water from the school roof, and thereby close the water
cycle as much as possible? This works well for gardens with a large roof
area close by ( I am assuming the school roof is large) - local nurseries in
our area have tanks and they work really well.

Also I'd love to hear more about your project - junior school, high school,
number of students, what you are hoping to achieve, whether the garden is
for students or public or both...

You may be interested in the Collingwood College Garden
http://www.collingwood.vic.edu.au/home/kevinc/kitgarfront.htm
which is in Melbourne and is worked by a range of kids (incl.some very young
ones) and is run in conjunction with chef Stephanie Alexander who donates
her time to organise cooking classes with students using produce from the
garden. These kids are gaining access to some fantastic life (and career)
skills (and they can go home and make their families dishes such as homemade
pumpkin ravioli). The site also outlines curriculum and integrated learning
ideas. The Collingwood garden was inspired by Alice Waters edible schoolyard
(California) http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/home/

Tamsin
Dig In Community Gardens
Melbourne