Re: Viburnum damage

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Viburnum damage
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:28:07 EST

Madam,

Without sounding new-agey, I find that the lessons that I learn from
gardening and gardening with other people as a community gardener,
enlightening.  Part of the joy and challenge of gardening is that nature
intervenes in interesting ways with all of our plans.

Practically, I would contact some of the better plantsmen in your area, to
see if a viburnum robuscum of suffient size was available for love or money
in your area.  I'd also ask them for technical advice. It is likely that they
may suggest a better place for your senescent shrub.
Sometimes fortuitous things happen - if this shrub is popular in your area,
some person may be uprooting them to replace them with roses, etc. You might
be saving a shrub or two from the chipper/shredder.  Stranger things have
happened. Cast your net as far as a pick-up truck can go in the morning.  You
may want to, if you are sufficiently obsessed, to put advertisements in the
local shopping papers, or post your query on-line or in local nurseries where
plant folks  congregate.

Your old shrub might be best replanted elsewhere on your property.  Sometimes
new surroundings do wonders with a shrub, as with people. Or donate it to a
local community garden!

Another option is to listen to  the Stone's "You Can't Always Get What You
Want, " and think of options of what you might plant there.  Sometimes, an
odd piece of discarded statuary, an urn with plants that will do well  in
that microclimate, or another shrub would give enough of a contrast to give
the space greater visual interest.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman