RE: Master Gardeners as a CG resource

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Master Gardeners as a CG resource
  • From: "Gray Jean" grayj@ottawa.edu
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:50:28 -0700

Title: Re: [cg] Master Gardeners as a CG resource

I am a Master Gardener in Phoenix, Arizona, and am also a student working toward a Master’s degree in Professional Counseling as well as being employed full time.  I am using horticultural therapy in my internship with developmentally disabled dually-diagnosed clients in a day treatment center and group homes.  I have studied botany and horticulture during my undergraduate program.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Peru working in agricultural extension with the support of the USDA.  I’m also a community garden supporter, and interested in ecopsychology and in healing gardens.  (We’ll be building a Medicine Wheel garden at one of the group homes.)

In my Master Gardening classes in Phoenix, and other extension classes I’ve taken over the years, I’ve met a variety of people from all walks of life, all colors, all income levels, and with many interests.  I wouldn’t put them in the narrow category of white, upper middle class, and they definitely had a range of interests.

Jean Gray

Graduate Programs Advisement Coordinator

Ottawa University, Phoenix