Master Gardeners

Hi, Folks!

What your Master Gardener program is seems to depend on what the Extension Agents for your county think it should be. Here in Chester County (PA), it's looked upon as a volunteer resource to answer phones in West Chester -- if you don't want to do that, they aren't interested in training you. However, since my experience shows that I actually do know what I'm talking about, I'm on the "Master Gardener Speaker List" for organizations that are looking for an expert to speak to their group. I can't CALL myself a "Master Gardener," but I'm considered one. Your own Extension Agent's view may vary.

In Philadelphia County, the Master Gardeners are much closer to the community garden movement because the Extension program works closely with community gardeners.

If your Extension set up the Master Gardeners to do a specific function (helping out at a botanical garden is classic) and they don't have quite the number of volunteers to do that function, they usually aren't open to you siphoning off their volunteers to do something else. If they have a large group that is looking for more to do, THEN they are usually more than happy to advertise what you are doing and how you need help.

It's all supply and demand! ;-)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of