Master Gardeners as a CG resource

  • Subject: [cg] Master Gardeners as a CG resource
  • From: Jan Zientek zientek@AESOP.Rutgers.edu
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:58:40 -0500

I thought I'd let folks know that even some staff of Cooperative Extension are
on the ACGA listserv.  I've been lurking here since I arrived back in Newark,
New Jersey (after 20 years in Seattle no less) to run the Rutgers Urban
Gardening Program ... a 26 year old community garden program sponsored by
Rutgers Cooperative Extension.  I also became the Master Gardener program
coordinator for Essex County, and it has been my pleasure to discover how many
Master Gardeners are interested in and help support community gardens in urban
areas (i.e. Newark, East Orange) and suburban areas (i.e. Montclair, West
Orange.)  There are a few MGs who see the program as an exclusive garden club,
but that is far from the mission of Rutgers Cooperative Extension and our staff
work hard at reminding MGs that the program is open to all and is a resource to
every resident of the county.  I'd recommend not giving up all hope of
collaborating with MGs ...

Jan Zientek

--
Jan Zientek, County Extension Department Head              voice: 973-353-5525
Rutgers Urban Gardening Program Coordinator                fax:   973-353-1430