Re: More on Master Gardeners

Corrie & All:
In Toledo we did offer Master Gardener scholarships to active community
gardeners.  This was great because it gave people the opportunity to
increase their skills as well as gain recognition for their contribution to
community gardening.  Some who participated lived in public housing, and
others were staff of agencies, schools, or churches who coordinated or
volunteered in their agency-sponsored garden.  I think this is an excellent
way to empower community members and to further invest them in cg.

Also, to get MG volunteers I spoke annually at the MG training about short
and long term cg volunteer opportunities (5 enthusiastic minutes and a
hand-out--then made myself available afterwards for questions).  This was a
great way for me to catch a group of enthusiastic volunteers who were very
itchy to get started with their 50 volunteer hours!

Also--several of our Extension staff who were MGs volunteered at community
gardens.

Shelly Collins
Master Gardener
"DISCLAIMER: All or part of this electronic mail transmission may contain
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any retention of dissemination of this information is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify phi.support@odmrdd.state.oh.us and delete all copies of this e-mail
from your system."