Planning in Minneapolis/ Historic Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Planning in Minneapolis/ Historic Gardens
  • From: Peter Johann Willcütt <peat@pipapeat.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:56:56 -0600

Hello All!

    I am new to the Community Garden List. I am looking to rally more of my
neighbors to our garden, it has been working so far! I had a question for
community gardeners in historic neighborhoods. I live in the Nicollet Island
neighborhood of Minneapolis Minnesota. It is a Victorian era neighborhood
that was restored in the 1970s-1980s. Here are 2 websites our neighborhoods
site, www.nicolletisland.org <http://www.nicolletisland.org/> ,   and
www.nicolletisland.com <http://www.nicolletisland.com/> , a commercial real
estate site with some nice photos.

 I was wondering if other folks in historic areas had to use special or more
historic materials in their garden sites, for example our homes MUST have
wooden cedar shingles rather than modern ones. Has anyone encountered such a
thing with their community gardening? I can imagine that we may need picket
or iron fencing for our gardens.

I was hoping to play of this historic angle for the garden too. I am looking
for a resource of what was in vogue, plant wise, in the Victorian era. I
hope to encourage our gardeners to cultivate heritage and heirloom varieties
in our vegetable beds.  Is their a resource such as that anywhere on the web
dealing with historic gardening?

        It is a pleasure to be a part of The World Wide Community Garden at

               Thanks again!

                    Peter J. Willc|tt