RE: Planning in Minneapolis/Historic Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Planning in Minneapolis/Historic Gardens
  • From: "Diane Dodge" <dianefaydodge@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:10:28 -0600

On Dec 1, you wrote:

Message: 2
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Peter_Johann_Willc=FCtt?= <peat@pipapeat.com>
To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:56:56 -0600
Subject: [cg] Planning in Minneapolis/ Historic Gardens

Hello All!

    I am new to the Community Garden List. I am looking to rally more of
my
neighbors to our garden, it has been working so far! I had a question for
community gardeners in historic neighborhoods. I live in the Nicollet
Island
neighborhood of Minneapolis Minnesota. It is a Victorian era neighborhood
that was restored in the 1970s-1980s. Here are 2 websites our
neighborhoods
site, www.nicolletisland.org <http://www.nicolletisland.org/> ,   and
www.nicolletisland.com <http://www.nicolletisland.com/> , a commercial
real
estate site with some nice photos.

I was wondering if other folks in historic areas had to use special or
more
historic materials in their garden sites, for example our homes MUST have
wooden cedar shingles rather than modern ones. Has anyone encountered
such a
thing with their community gardening? I can imagine that we may need
picket
or iron fencing for our gardens.

I was hoping to play of this historic angle for the garden too. I am
looking
for a resource of what was in vogue, plant wise, in the Victorian era. I
hope to encourage our gardeners to cultivate heritage and heirloom
varieties
in our vegetable beds.  Is their a resource such as that anywhere on the
web
dealing with historic gardening?

        It is a pleasure to be a part of The World Wide Community Garden
at
last!

               Thanks again!

                    Peter J. Willc|tt

Peter,

Check out "Minnesota Gardens: An Illustrated History", by Susan Davis
Price.  Available at your local library and probably every bookstore in
Minnesota.

And check out the following website: www.greeninstitute.org/GSP/index.htm
. There are many and varied community gardens in the Twin Cities area
that might provide inspiration.

And while you're at it, ACGA is having their annual conference in the
Twin Cities Aug. 12-13-14, and you can get information about it on that
website....click on "Twin Cities Greening Coalition".  The website is
being reorganized right now, so you may want to try now AND later!

Happy Gardening, snowman constructing, etc.,

Diane Dodge, St. Paul