Historical gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Historical gardens
  • From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:56:39 -0800 (PST)

Oh, yes indeedy, Pete, there's no shortage of
historical gardening out there. It's actually quite a
lot of fun, and can pull you right on in. I did an
1840s flower and veggie garden this year for a
reconstructed plantation in one of our local parks. My
best sources have been original garden books, which I
think may be true for you, too (sounds like yours may
be late 1800s/Victorian?). Bookstores in the UK,
especially, still have the old garden books around
used, for about $20 if you look around.

For 1700s veggies, I especially like Colonial
Williamsburg's studies.

Old cookbooks are very good sources, too.

You should be able to find all kinds of resources up
in Minneapolis, jeez!

My key suggestion, based on my experience this past
year, is to keep an open mind, and find like-minded
folks who are 'serious' without being deadly. Don't
become the garden equivalent of a 'Contradance Nazi'.

Good read - Jenny Uglow's _A Little History of British
Gardening_. Helps put any historical gardening
projects in a broader perspective.

Good luck! Oh, and next stop for you will be the
heirloom seed movement and saving seed. That's also
way cool.

Don B/Charlotte NC