RE: Urban pot program

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Urban pot program
  • From: "Tom Dietrich" <tdietrich@metroparks.org>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:28:31 -0500

No, not that kind of pot.

Jim:

My community gardening program is based at a formal public garden, who
started a "sponsored pot program" like you are describing.  It was very
successful over 200 pots "sold" the first year-- our goal was 100!  It's
good you have the watering figured out and the volunteers organized to check
up on them.

We use a company called Crescent Pots-- very good customer service.  Prices
seem good too, but you be the judge.  I recommend having the holes drilled
(just ask them when you place the order) near the bottom of the pot on the
outside, not on the bottom, otherwise they will get clogged and drown the
plants.

We encouraged business owners purchase them to beautify their own store
fronts, although some owners bought more to put elsewhere too.  The plaque
is a nice touch, but we didn't go the extra mile.  We just made a strong
presence in the media with press releases and a kick-off event.

That reminds me-- consider the logistics when making preparations.  The pots
get extremely heavy once full of soil.  Our city donated time with staff and
a Bobcat to move the pots into place from a central potting location.

Definitely a good idea to keep in touch with those who "buy" the pots.
Important donor base and positive PR.

Good luck with your program.  I am sure it will be a success from all your
forethought.

Tom

Tom Dietrich
Grow With Your Neighbors