Re: Adopt a street planter: micro community gardens?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Adopt a street planter: micro community gardens?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:38:18 EST

Jim,

I'm on my way out of the door, but I'll respond to you later this evening.
We've beeing doing what we call, "tree pits," for decades in NYC as a way for
local block associations or communities to do beautification projects.

The idea is to protect the trees from dog pee and feces, and to preserve the
investment made in street trees, which have a tough time with the heavy
particulate from our vehicular traffic in Manhattan and the outer boroughs.

Here is a link to our various City "tree groups,"
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/trees_greenstreets.html

ACGA president, Gerard Lordahl handles alot of the Greenstreets program
though his day job at the Council for the Environment. He is a major source on the
govt. side. Contact him.  I'll talk later about the neighborhood side later.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
 Clinton Community Garden