Re: Adopt a street planter: micro community gardens?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Adopt a street planter: micro community gardens?
  • From: Jim Call <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:26:38 -0600

What timing! I'm in the process of gathering planter information. My boss and I are considering creating a new program called the "Adopt-A-Planter" program whereas we ask for civic, corporate and other organizations to "adopt" a planter. We foresee getting a well respected Garden Center to create various planting designs that will bring more color to our downtown. During the growing season, we have large beautiful hanging baskets throughout the downtown area.

In this new program, the city will purchase, install and plant these adopted beauty spots. We will attach a brass plaque (3" by 5") to each planter to acknowledge its donor. If the adopting entity wishes to provide volunteers to plant their planter, we will assist them to make this arrangement a more "partner oriented" program. Plus, I plan to take pictures of these planters during the height of the growing season to mail to each of the donors.

Right now, I am looking at these particular planters...

http://www.wausautile.com/index.cfm/choice/TerraForm/page/Planters/family/2/product/y/id/22

There would be an adoption price (buying it... $300 and up) the first year and every year afterwards, a continued support fee... $100.00.

The city will be responsible for watering all planters.

Currently, the ball in my court. My boss has asked me to come up with a presentation. Next, he will arrange a meeting between him, myself and the Mayor. I am fortunate to work for a Mayor known as the "beautification Mayor". My job focuses on keeping downtown beautiful. My team (a.k.a. The Sparkle Team) picks up litter, designs and plants flowerbeds, weed where necessary, pressure washing sidewalks, removing graffifi, and many landscaping oriented tasks (no turf management). Recently, we designed and built a nice 6' by 50' cobblestone walkway.

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts on this discussion.

Jim Call, City of Huntsville Project Supervisor, Landscape and Recreation Division
P.S. - I also do a little community gardening in my spare time.... www.casagarden.com

Don Boekelheide wrote:

from The Herald-Sun, Chapel Hill, NC

-BY KERI CLAY :

Dec 6, 2004 : 7:02 pm ET

CHAPEL HILL -- During the holidays, it's not usually
flowers and foliage that people are thinking about.

But longtime Chapel Hillian Roland Giduz, a
coordinator working with the Friends of Downtown
Chapel Hill, is looking for people who are willing to
adopt a flower box on Franklin Street. Giduz, who
takes care of a planter of his own, said he enjoys
seeing something that he planted grow.

"I take a lot of pride in beautifying downtown Chapel
Hill," Giduz said.

Within one block of Columbia Street, there are
approximately 15 planters that need tending, and the
Friends are looking for individuals or groups who can
adopt.

Each planter requires routine maintenance about once a
week. Different greenery specimens can be planted, but
they do need year-round maintenance and replanting
with the change of seasons.

Giduz said pansies grow particularly well this time of
year, but must be planted in December to ensure their
survival. Some planters have trees in them as well,
and are made of brick. Others, mainly the new ones
made of stone, are still empty and in need of help.

Landy and Dixon Qualls, who are retired and reside in
Chapel Hill, adopted their planter this fall because
they thought they might enjoy tending it. What they
didn't count on was enjoying it as much as they do.

"We [adopted] because the planters are so attractive
for Franklin Street. It really adds a beautiful
touch," said Dixon Qualls. "We will probably keep it
for a long time."

The Quallses tend their stone planter once or twice a
week by pulling weeds and removing leaves. It only
takes them about 15 minutes a day, Qualls said. They
park at Morehead Planetarium and transport gardening
supplies using a new Radio Flyer wagon.

Their flower box can be seen blooming with pansies
right now in front of Battle Hall on the UNC campus.
They used topsoil to help in the growing process, and
water it regularly. Its brightness is a cheerful spot
on a cold, autumn day in Chapel Hill. Tending their
flower box allows the Quallses to get out in the
community and see the difference they can make.

"What makes it nice is being able to see the other
displays," Dixon Qualls said. "It gives us a reason to
walk down Franklin Street."

Since adopting their planter, the Quallses say they
are more observant about nature, admiring the Rose
Gardens at Morehead Planetarium each visit and taking
in the beauty that is downtown Chapel Hill.

"We enjoy going. We even enjoy the weeding," Dixon
Qualls said.

---

Want to take part?

To adopt a planter, call Roland Giduz of the Friends
of Downtown Chapel Hill at 942-2194. There is no cost
for the adoption. The only requirement is to provide
the love and attention that's necessary to help the
greenery grow.

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org