Re: Adopt a street planter: micro community gardens?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Adopt a street planter: micro community gardens?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:27:50 EST

Tree pit gardening, as we call it in NYC, has been a regular neighborhood
community gardening practice for decades in Manhattan and the outerboroughs.

First it starts with signs hung on the tree saying, "Please save this tree,
don't let this be where you let your dog pee!", or some other cute phrase. Then
we build up the soil around the tree, making sure there is a metal tube or
bricks keeping the tree crown exposed, so the tree doesn't rot.

Then, with the soil improved around the tree, seasonal annuals, or perennials
like ivy and tiny hosta are planted and maintained by gardeners who belong to
local block associations, or in the case of the Clinton Community Garden,
actual regular communiuty gardeners who keep the London Plane trees in front of
the CCG healthier than the others on the block and planted with attractive
floral and plant displays.

Adam Honigman