Re: old growth alternatives/raised beds

  • Subject: [cg] Re: old growth alternatives/raised beds
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:51:15 EST

I've used cinder blocks, which need to be two (2) high to do well, straw
bales, plastic mesh fence cut into strips, eastern red cedar logs (which are a
scourge and taking over the tall grass prairie, but great for raised beds) and
rough sawed boards, rock and tornado spawned tree trunks, 18" deep steel
strip castoffs from steel yards, concrete and a primitive attempt at  adobe.
In the end I come back to nothing on the borders at all, just a sloping
raised bed.  Ascetically these beds are pleasing, can be shaped in any  design you
please, and are easily maintained.  I do think the soil is  important.  These
days I concentrate on that.  A compost pile is  a raised bed waiting to
All the best,
John Herndon
Village Green Community Garden
Norman,  Oklahoma