FW: AHTA - National Horticultural Therapy Week - Take Action Today!

  • Subject: [cg] FW: AHTA - National Horticultural Therapy Week - Take Action Today!
  • From: "Kirby, Ellen" <ellenkirby@bbg.org>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:04:38 -0500

I  am forwarding the message below from the AHTA (American Horticultural
Therapy Association)  to our ACGA listserve in case anyone would like to
join in this important advocacy effort. About 8 years years ago AHTA and
ACGA hosted a joint conference in Chicago  so we have a history of
common cause.

This will be another way to get the concerns of community gardening
before the public.

Thanks,

Ellen Kirby
Dear Friends of AHTA and Horticultural Therapy,

By now, you have likely heard that Congressman David Price, 4th District
of North Carolina, agreed to sponsor a Congressional Resolution
supporting the recognition of National Horticultural Therapy Week
(NHTW). To support Congressman Price's efforts, we ask you and every
member of AHTA to take a moment and contact your elected representative
and senators to ask for their support of this resolution (House
Concurrent Resolution 497). Start thinking about your letter today and
plan to mail it during the first week of January.

Information about the campaign for National Horticultural Therapy Week
was included in the November/December issue of the AHTA News. Lana
Dreyfuss, AHTA board member and president of the Chesapeake Chapter of
AHTA, is chairman of the NHTW campaign. Lana discussed the campaign at
the recent AHTA annual conference in Atlanta. More information is
included in the January/February issue of AHTA News. You can read the
resolution and get information, including a sample letter, at AHTA's Web
site at http://www.ahta.org/events/htweek.html
<http://www.ahta.org/events/htweek.html> .

We hope you will join with us to encourage every member of Congress to
support the resolution for National Horticultural Therapy Week. We can't
do it without your help. Also, spread the word to your coworkers,
clients, friends, family, and community leaders. Ask them to write
letters to congress in support of the resolution and horticultural
therapy.

Please let us know (by sending an e-mail message to steph@ahta.org
<mailto:steph@ahta.org> ) when you have sent your letter. It's
especially important for us to know if your representative or senator
agrees to serve as a co-sponsor of this resolution. We want to be sure
and list all sponsors on the AHTA Web site and recognize them in our
newsletter.

If you are one of AHTA's valued international members, then your help is
also needed. Passage of this resolution brings formal recognition from
the United States government of the importance of horticultural therapy.
Your letter of support (sent to the AHTA office), explaining the
importance of HT in your country, will help our elected leaders
understand that HT helps people all over the world.

Watch for updated NHTW information on the AHTA Web site and in the AHTA
News. Also, consider holding a NHTW event in your community. For help
planning your event, contact Lana Dreyfuss at ldreyfuss@melwood.com
<mailto:ldreyfuss@melwood.com> . Feel free to contact me if you have any
questions or would like assistance with your letter or contacting your
elected officials. Let me know if you would like to receive a copy of
the resolution and sample letter as an e-mail attachment. Thank you for
your support of AHTA, HT, and National Horticultural Therapy Week.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Shulman
AHTA - Special Projects

www.ahta.org

AHTA
909 York Street
Denver, CO 80206
USA

NOTE: AHTA will not share your e-mail address with others. If do not
wish to receive future e-mails from AHTA, please let us know by sending
an e-mail to amy@ahta.org. Thank you.