Re: St. Paul Community Gardener Needs NYC Upper East Side,Spanish Harlem CG

  • Subject: [cg] Re: St. Paul Community Gardener Needs NYC Upper East Side,Spanish Harlem CG
  • From: "Susan Fields" Susan.Fields@parks.nyc.gov
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:11:47 -0500

Hello Adam and Nichola

In 2003 I spoke with an upper east side resident who was trying to
organize a community garden project in Carl Schurz park - I am not sure
where the project went - but it sounded exciting- maybe Nichola would
like to contact him to see if she could plug into that project -- Dave
Kleckner, cell 917-841-9966, work 718-590-6104.

I would also check out www.cenyc.org website and go to the garden
mapping page to look at a map of all the community gardens close to her
like - El Sitio Feliz on 103rd Street, Mission Garden on Madison@111th
Street, Pleasant Park Garden on 114th Street or Papo's Garden  --- all
great gardens.  I would suggest going by on a warm(relative) weekend day
to see if anyone is checking on the slumbering gardens or give me a call
and GT could give you the contact phone numbers.

Hope this is helpful - Happy New Year.

Susan

Susan Fields
Deputy Director for Citywide Program
GreenThumb, NYC Parks Department
49 Chambers Street, Room 1020
NY, NY  10007
212-788-8078
Susan.Fields@parks.nyc.gov

>>> <DanMan360@aol.com> 12/23/04 09:16AM >>>
Friends,

I'm having lunch in a midtown restaurant, and the waitress, a Ms.
Nichola
Miller ( NicholaMillerJazz@Yahoo.com) says to the party next to me that
she's
from Minneapolis St. Paul. To which I say, being me - oh, I'm gonna be
there in
August to see some gardens at the ACGA convention.

This led to talking about "Farm in the City," etc. and Nichola's
desire, in
the middle of December ( these Minnesotan's are stern stuff) to get to

gardening as soon as possible. This lady's been in the city maybe a few
months, and
doesn't know where the gardens are?

I'll include some weblinks in this message, as Nichola is being copied
on
this.

Green Thumb: http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/ , Green Guerillas:
http://www.greenguerillas.org/ , Trust for Public Land NYC Garden
Stewardship Program:
http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cdl.cfm?content_item_id=12685&folder_id=1805 ,
NY
Restoration Project: http://www.nyrp.org/ , More Gardens!:
http://www.moregardens.org/

But my question is, does anyone know of any east side Manhattan
community
gardnens, like in the low 100s, that and open to new blood, and a nice
good
gardener from out of town can go to, when it's open, and volunteer?

I'd hate to send Nichola by and have the usual clannish crap, or "not
open",
happen to her.  Otherwise I can send her hands over to the Conservatory

Garden to work with the Central Park Conservancy.
http://www.centralparknyc.org/ ;
http://www.centralparknyc.org/volunteerjobs/volunteerinfo

Please respond to this list and directly  to
NicholaMillerJazz@yahoo.com who
looks to be a good gardener.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman