But will it play in Peoria?

  • Subject: [cg] But will it play in Peoria?
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:18:26 -0500

Frends,

This may be one for Rory Klick and the Chicago garden "mob."  Or any Illinois lurkers on this list....

Life can be amusing - a young Doctor/community gardener is moving from the Loisaida ( the Lower East Side of Manhattan) to Peoria Illinois -  to do a fellowship at UIC Peoria. This magnificently organized multi-tasker loves to community garden (she says it "keeps her real") and has done a good deal of pro bono doctoring among the uninsured - a good egg.

So young Dr. "Greenthumb," was referred to me by one of my late wife's nurse friends.  I've found other gardens for other relocating docs, and nurses so I'm the "garden guy."

 However,  my Internet crystal ball and winged monkeys have brought me back nothing - just Peoria's  100,000 population city's botanical garden, the food pantries and and soup kitchens that are becoming more and more common during this second administration of Bush the Younger, and garden centers more than happy to sell me "Miracle Grow."

I'm stumped!

Lookit - Peoria IS in the Midwest, so there's lots of folks with farming  backgrounds. Peoria IS an American city - so we have poor people, folks with HIV and a growing crystal meth problem.  And a few scandals and a city manager that folks don't like to much - that I've gleaned from the Internet....

And Peoria's real estate market to have suffered the usual boom and bust that creates empty lots, though they are "condominiumizing" warehouse space near their river.
  Peoria IS middle America, so there have to be some churches that are moved to feed the hungry as part of their mission - so where are the community gardens?

Your assistance in locating  a Peoria, IL community garden (or gardens) would be greatly appreciated, please.

Wishing you the best for whichever way you keep the Winter Solstice,

Regards,
Adam Honigman