grow lights

  • Subject: [cg] grow lights
  • From: Minifarms@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:27:33 EST

Judy,

Ours is a table top.  If you do not understand this then call me
806-744-8517.

I made a box just a little longer than the shop light out of plywood.   About
12 inches wide. Sides were about  5 inches high.  On each end I  put a 1"x2"
piece of wood about 30 inches high. Used screws to attach it.

I drove a nail in the top of each 1x2.  I put a piece of chain,  little, from
 each end of the light to the nail on top of the  1x2.    I would raise the
light as the plants grew, using the  links in the little chain.  We keep the
light just above the plants.

Use whatever thick plywood on hand.  This works great and cost very  little.
You could put two lights side by side and make the box wider if  you need
more grow room.

I suggest that you start seed as above, set the plants out in the garden
about 3 weeks before the last freeze date using walls-of-water.  They  work.
Hopefully, that will get things going well before school is  out.  I substitute
teach at a JrHi and trying to get a garden going there  but had little luck.
The teacher most interested is working on a master's  for the next year or so
and has little time.

Ken Hargesheimer