FW: Harvey's garden

  • Subject: [cg] FW: Harvey's garden
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:02:02 -0500

Please reply to ltempleton@LTFunds.com

----Original Message-----
From: Lauren.Templeton [mailto:ltempleton@LTFunds.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:00 PM
To: betsyjohnson@communitygarden.org
Subject: Harvey's garden

Dear American Community Gardening Association,

I am writing to you in regards to a garden located in Winchester, Tennessee.
The garden is named Harvey's Garden.  Harvey's Garden is located
approximately 3-4 blocks from downtown Winchester and was envisioned by the
late Harvey M. Templeton (my grandfather).  His vision has thus far been
executed under the careful eye of my father and mother: Handly and Becky
Templeton.  Currently the Garden contains 110,000 daffodils, 1,500 Roses
(Climbing and Bush Variety), 100+ Crepe Myrtle, 50 Butterfly Bushes, 1,700
Daylilies (220 varieties), and various other flowering trees such as Pear,
Dogwood, Redbud, Magnolia, and Nellie R. Stevens Holly. The garden is a work
in progress with many more additions, both in floral plantings and acreage
to come.  We have hired a full time gardener named Thomas Vanzant to assist
us with the plantings.

Harvey's Garden is open everyday and is free to the public.  Currently six
acres have been planted.  There are another 26 acres left to design and
plant.  We are also in the process of acquiring more property.  The garden
is maintained by the Garden Association, a 501C3 organization and endowed by
my late grandfather.  You can take a virtual tour of his garden using the
following link:  http://www.winchester-tn.com/curiosities_interests.html.
Just select the Harvey's Garden icon.  The "Tree from China" is also a gift
that grandfather gave to Franklin County.  Obviously the daffodils draw a
lot of attention in the spring time.  Last year, Harvey's Garden was
showcased on various television news stations including Nashville, TN. and
Huntsville, AL.

I would like to think that my grandfather would have been proud to see the
residents of Franklin County enjoying his garden.  He wanted to give
everyone in the area the opportunity to visit a beautiful and peaceful
place.  He once said that his garden should be a place where people go to
read, contemplate, or hold someone's hand.  In the spring, many residents go
to Harvey's Garden to photograph their children or take wedding photographs.
Many professional photographers use Harvey's Garden as a lovely backdrop for
their photographs.

As hard as my father and his siblings have worked on this project, there is
still much to do.  I think Harvey's Garden needs some professional help.
That being said, the Garden Association is a non-profit organization.  The
landscape architects that we have interviewed have been extremely pricey.
Although the Garden Association is well endowed, we would really like the
assets to preserve Harvey's Garden for many generations to come.

I am writing you because I am sure that you know many landscape architects
in the TN region.  We are looking for volunteer assistance with this
project.  We could offer some compensation.  It is likely (especially as the
Garden grows with the addition of 26 acres) that Harvey's Garden will
continue to receive positive press.  I should mention that Harvey Templeton
was also the brother of Sir John Templeton (very famous financier).  I would
think that any landscape architect associated with this project might
benefit from the publicity and also have the opportunity to contribute
something that future generations will use and admire for many years to
come.

If you have any ideas or know anyone that might be willing to assist us,
please contact me at the address or phone number below.

Best wishes,

Lauren C. Templeton

Principal

Templeton Capital Management, LLC