Re: FW: NPK values for various compost materials

  • Subject: Re: FW: [cg] NPK values for various compost materials
  • From: "Sandy Pernitz" Sandy.Pernitz@Seattle.Gov
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:07:52 -0800

Here is something one of our gardeners came up with years ago...I am not
sure how this will transfer on text email but if you really want a clean
copy I have it in a word document.
Happy New Year Everyone!

Green Compost materials
Green Compost materials have high nitrogen values and provide organisms
nitrogen for protein synthesis.
C:N (Carbon:Nitrogen) ratio
Grass Clippings				9-25:1
Garden Weeds				19:1
Coffee Grounds				20:1
Seaweed				5-27:1
Fruit waste				20-50:1
Vegetable waste				11-20:1
Potato Tops				25:1
Corn Stalks-green			?:1
Leguminous Plants			15:1
Yard Waste/Garden Debris		15-55:1
Alfalfa Hay				13:1
Spent Grain				? :1
Spent Hops				?:1
Alder Leaves				25:1
Mushrooms				?:1
Cottonseed Meal				7:1
Soybean Meal				4-6:1
Manure
	Chicken				3-12:1
	Cow				11-30:1
	Horse				22-50:1
	Rabbit				6:1
	Sheep				13-20:1
	Pig				5-19:1
	Night Soil			6-10:1
Urine					0.8:1
Blood/Blood Meal				3:1
Fish Waste				2.6-5:1
Crab Waste				4-5:1
Shrimp Waste				3.4:1
Oyster/Mussel Waste			2-4:1

Brown Composting Materials
Brown composting materials are high in carbon and provide energy for
soil food web organisms.
C:N (Carbon:Nitrogen) ratio
Brown leaves			30-80:1
Oak leaves			50:1
Pine Needles			60-100:1
Coffee Chaff			?:1
Corn Stalks-brown		60:1
Straw				50-150:1
Burlap				?:1
Cotton Dryer Lint			 ?:1
Newsprint			400-850:1
Cardboard			200-550:1
Sawdust				400-750:1
Rotted Sawdust			150-250:1
Hardwood Bark			115-435:1
Softwood Bark			130-1285:1
Hardwood Chips/Shavings 	450-820:1
Softwood Chips/Shavings		210-1,310:1

Composting Materials Used List

 Aged wood chips
Apples
Banana peelings
Burlap bags
Carrot pulp
Coffee chaff
Coffee cups, incidentally included in our espresso grounds
Coffee grounds
Corn stalks
Crab
Culinary school kitchen waste
Diaper lint
Egg cartons
Egg shells
Fish scraps
Garden debris - a variety of, diseased & healthy
Glacial till
Granite dust
Grape stems and grape pressings
Grass - aerobic and anaerobic
Herring
Human hair
Kitchen scraps - a variety of
Leaves
Manure - alpaca
Manure - chicken
Manure - cow
Manure - horse
Manure - rabbit
Mussel shells
Mussels
Nettles
Newspaper (lots of it came with a manure compost)
Oyster shells
Oysters
Path chips
Pine needles
Pumpkins
Raspberry cuttings
Salmon
Sawdust - rotted
Seaweed - a variety of
Semolina from the bakery
Shrimp
Spent hops and grains
Straw
Volcanic ash
Weeds - a variety of noxious types

Thanks for your time,
Sandy Pernitz
Community Garden Coordinator
P-Patch Program/Dept. of Neighborhoods
"In wilderness is the preservation of the world."  Thoreau
We have moved! NEW ADDDRESS
Department of Neighborhoods
700 5th Avenue Suite 1700
PO Box 94649
Seattle, WA 98124-4649
sandy.pernitz@seattle.gov
206-684-0284

>>> <Gwenne.Hayes-Stewart@mobot.org> 12/28 12:57 PM >>>
I asked our local authority, Chip Tynan answer guy for Missouri
Botanical
Garden so here are his ideas.  Gwenne